Tuesday 1 December 2015

GUI Art #4 -- Wrench

We needed a simple wrench asset to be used in the inventory system. I used a reference found on google images, to give me an idea of what type of wrench I wanted. I decided to go with a basic one. I outlined the shape in photoshop using the pen tool. Then I used the circle shape and merged it with the handle, and used the eraser to get rid of the circular shape in the handle. I added a slight bevel, stroke and shadow to give it a more 3D effect.


The next step, I added a dip that goes inwards on the handle. I gave it a little bit of a texture, and an inner shadow to make it appear as if it goes into the handle.
I did add a little text to give it a bit of effect. I thought it would be funny to type "Cameron made this". I also added some random numbers on the end to make it look like a model number. I also added a slight shadow to the end, to make it appear as if it goes upwards, like a ramp.

In my next step, I added part of the end of the wrench, I made the end in two sections as a wrench is generally using two parts that can change measurements. I gave it a simple metal overlay and gradient.

I then added the second shape, I made it a little darker so you can easily define the difference between the two.

Next, I added a little screw in the whole on the end. Its used to make the handle change measurements. I simply made a rectangle, then a few circles that were skewed and warped and it gave the effect of a screw.

I then added a metal texture to make it a little darker.


Then, using a rust overlay, I gave it a little bit of rust to make it appear like it is old and been used a lot.

 Here is an example of the layer styles I used.



No comments:

Post a Comment