Tuesday 8 December 2015

Golden Key

A golden key was commissioned via the concept art for the group game. After loading and the reviewing the concept art in Autodesk Maya, I found the best approach (in my limited skillset, so far!) was to use the quad draw function. I drew out the basic shape of the edge of the key, and created edge loops to maintain the basic geometry of the key when extruded.

concept
The use of the extrusion tool allowed the key to form as a mesh, with the crease tool maintaining any hard edges defining the keys shape.

mesh
Smoothing the key created a even topology, and the application of a generic material shader bypassed the need for texture mapping. The specular value for the material was adjusted as to create the look of a shiny metal.

This particular asset I am pleased with, this is due to me getting to use the quad draw function more, allowing me to expand my skills with this tool. In turn, the finished result looks better than I expected.

material
specular

No comments:

Post a Comment