Sunday 25 October 2015

Character Model

Here's the model sheet I was given to work from.

To start with I blocked out the entire figure, starting from the torso with the arms, legs, and head extruded out from there. At this stage I was focusing on getting a solid form to work with and following the model sheet as closely as possible.


I made two major deviations from the model sheet before carrying on. I restructured the feet to be more anatomically correct, and made the breasts smaller to be more in line with the front view and more finalised concept art.

Adding edge loops and refining the shape. I also added the hair by extruding off the head and down.

To make the face I hid the figure I'd already made and followed the method described in this tutorial, but at a lower level of detail.
http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=1804&catDisplay=2&roPos=1&page=2#.Vi094PnhCUl

After combining the face into one piece I deleted some of the edge loops in order to simplify and refine the topology.


After mirroring the face I altered the proportions to be more anatomically correct whilst retaining the style wanted. This meant deviating from the model sheet but that had not translated into 3D very well.

To finish the model I combined the face with the body and hair, editing edge loops as needed. I then added more detail to the hoodie, belt, shoes, and hair, then finished modelling the satchel.

Overall I think this stage has gone very well, it has been an excellent opportunity to hone my modelling skills and I'm pleased with the outcome. If I were to do anything differently I would try to keep the edge loops more even and perhaps try to think of a different method for making the hair.

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment