Thursday 19 November 2015

Character Texturing

To start with I set up a base texture with flat colours, which I made by assigning different coloured materials to the mesh in maya and baking out the result. This sped up the process because I didn't need to set the base colours manually. The picture above shows the base after I had edited the colours to match the reference image, there are a couple of details in the reference that I wasn't able to model because that image was produced after the model sheet.

While painting on the detail I got feedback from Jemila about the face and changed the expression to better match the characterisation.

This is how far I got with testing the texture in Maya before I moved on to test it in engine. The reason I started out in Maya was because it's easier to assess the details and faster to switch between Photoshop and Maya.
The finished textures in engine, using a basic outline toon shader. After testing the textures in engine I edited them to emphasise the the shadows and highlights to compensate for the toon shader's lack of lighting. I also textured the satchel to match. 

The process I've used to make these textures is painting them by hand in Photoshop using a combination of standard and custom brushes, this method matches the art direction more than a photo based approach would have. Overall I'm very happy with how the textures have turned out and how quickly I was able to produce them, They may need revising at a later stage if the shader gets changed or if the environment textures don't match, but that would be relatively simple to fix.

The one thing I would change if I were to do this again is the UV layout, which I left as what was generated by the automatic layout in Maya and I know that isn't optimal.

Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment